Topic: change "install application" folder

hi there!

i just downloaded and bought a licence for dropzone and i am completely happy with it. but i have one major problem:
when installing an app, dropzone automatically puts it in: "macintosh hd/user/your-user/applications".
but usually apps get installed to: "macintosh hd/applications".

is there a way to change the "install application" destination folder? id really love this feature and would be sad not to be able to use it...

looking forward to your answer,
thank you for your help!

2 (edited by mattle 2010-09-19 01:02:26)

Re: change "install application" folder

Hello microsyntax,

I wanted the same behavior on install and I got it working with a quick little fix:

1. Open the file "~/Applications/Dropzone/Destination Scripts/lib/installapp.rb" in a text editor.
2. Near the end of the file is the line "def self.install_destination".
3. Put a new line below that line: return "/Applications/"
4. Comment out the rest of that "def" leaving the closing "end" by placing "#" at the beginning of each line

You should end up with something like this in that section of the script:

def self.install_destination
    return "/Applications/"
    # If user has an Applications folder in their home directory then install there
    # if File::exists?(File.expand_path("~/Applications"))
    #  return File.expand_path("~/Applications") + "/"
    # else
    #   return "/Applications/"
    # end
end

I thought that commenting it out might be better than deleting should you ever want to change it back for some reason. Let me know if you have any questions as it's working perfect for me.

Thanks for helping out mattle. Lots of users have this issue so it really needs a preference. We will hopefully add one in a future version.

Note that there's now a preference in 2.0 to make Dropzone always install to the main Applications folder rather than the user Application folder.

To get to the option, open the Preferences, select your Install Application destination and hit edit. The option should be ticked automatically. Now hit update and you should be good to go. Note that last step - you MUST hit update for the database to be updated, otherwise the option will not take effect.

Hi there,

John wrote:

Note that there's now a preference in 2.0 to make Dropzone always install to the main Applications folder rather than the user Application folder.

That's a nice feature, thanks! Unfortunately, it seems to require administrator rights (»You do not have the needed permissions to copy applications to the main Applications folder. Either log in as an administrator or create an Applications folder in your user directory and try again.«). I have switched off admin rights for my normal user account, due to good reasons.

I tried to assign full access rights just to the /Applications folder for my user account using the ACL in Path Finder, but to no avail.
Any possibility to get this working?

Thanks for your help!