Topic: Activate Dropzone area while dragging - only when holding som key down

It's not too great having the Dropzone drop area appear EVERY time I move something around on the desktop, so might it be possible to only invoke that behaviour when dragging AND holding some keyboard key down?

Cheers

Re: Activate Dropzone area while dragging - only when holding som key down

Hi Pip,

It's been added because Apple has made it so dragging to the top of the screen now activates mission control, and as this was the normal method for opening the Dropzone grid this caused problems. Also people often forgot they could drag to the top of the screen, so seeing Dropzones window up there reminds you 'hey you can drag this item here'

But you can disable this feature by opening a Terminal and copy pasting the following command:

defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.aptonic.Dropzone3.plist ScreenTopDragEnabled -bool false

And to re-enable:

defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/com.aptonic.Dropzone3.plist ScreenTopDragEnabled -bool true

The command is slightly different for the Mac App Store version of Dropzone. For that version the command to disable it is:

defaults write ~/Library/Containers/com.aptonic.Dropzone3/Data/Library/Preferences/com.aptonic.Dropzone3.plist ScreenTopDragEnabled -bool false

If you disable it then you can still drag onto the Dropzone menu item.
A shortcut you can hold to show the overlay is a cool idea. I will consider adding this in a future version.

Re: Activate Dropzone area while dragging - only when holding som key down

> A shortcut you can hold to show the overlay is a cool idea. I will consider adding this in a future version.

I would say it's essential, at least as an option.  Otherwise, people are going to try the demo and think, "I don't want to see THAT every time I drag anything."

My choice would be to invoke the drop zone area by holding the "z" key down shortly after I start dragging something.  It seems ergonomically right as a right-hander.  That sort of thing anyway.