1 (edited by sumocomputers 2012-03-18 17:45:41)

Topic: Dropzone 2.1 becomes unresponsive on Lion

Dropzone 2.1 becomes unresponsive on Lion.

Both the Menu Bar and Right hand activation became unresponsive.

Had to Force Quit App from Activity Monitor and restart it from the Applications Folder, and now is working again.

But for how long?

Re: Dropzone 2.1 becomes unresponsive on Lion

Could you please do a search for Dropzone in Console.app (located in /Applications/Utilities) and see if there are any messages?

Yeah, the only one I found was me killing the app I think:

3/17/12 7:14:09.149 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x21021].com.aptonic.Dropzone[200]) Exited: Killed: 9

OK, if it happens again, open Activity Monitor and hit 'Sample Process' and send me the output. That may give us a clue as to what's happening. Any extra information you can provide, such as what you were doing at the time would also be useful.

Are you using any utilities that mess with the graphics system such as gfxCardStatus. If you are, you could try turning off the 'Animate grid opening and closing' preference in the Dropzone preferences and see if that helps.

I've seen this same thing happen too, I get it a couple of times a week.

John, I'll get you that info next time it happens.

I"m not using any GPU related utilities but i do have Parallels running, I imagine that could be doing strange things with the GPU.

Chris White
http://christopherdwhite.com
@chrisWhite • @BrewedPixels

Thanks Chris. Please check Console.app for related messages as well. Please also upgrade to Dropzone 2.2 which just came out on the Mac App Store.

I've never had anything like this myself, so it must be something specific about your configuration.

Please let me know your OS version and Mac type. A screen recording showing exactly what's happening is also very useful.

I'm getting a silent crash in Dropzone 2.2 in Lion every day. Nothing in Console.app, though I usually don't notice the crash for a while so it may have been cleared from the Console log by the time I check. Killing Dropzone in Activity Monitor and relaunching brings it back no problem.

I have a theory but I'm not sure it's relevant. I have a number of actions that move files to an external volume which is frequently mounted and unmounted. Perhaps the periodic disappearance of those destinations has something to do with it?

Hi Matthew

If Dropzone is crashing there will definitely be a crash report. Open Console.app and in the log list on the left-hand side expand a section marked 'CrashReporter' - any time an app crashes a report is added to this section.

Please email the report to me - john@aptonic.com or paste it here and I'll take a look.

Thanks!

John wrote:

If Dropzone is crashing there will definitely be a crash report. Open Console.app and in the log list on the left-hand side expand a section marked 'CrashReporter' - any time an app crashes a report is added to this section.

Hmm, maybe it’s not crashing, then. There's no Dropzone report in there. I should mention that the app is still ostensibly running (icon is in the menubar, process appears in Activity Monitor and isn't 'Not Responding'), but cannot be interacted with at all.

Are you using gfxCardStatus?

11 (edited by matthewmcvickar 2012-05-05 03:08:39)

I don't think so? I don't know what that is.

EDIT: Looked it up. No, I'm not using it. Here are the toolbar apps I'm using: Dropbox, Fantastical, TextExpander, LiveReload, Concentrate, TicToc, ILoveStars, F.lux.

I've captured a Sample from Activity Monitor of Dropzone in its unresponsive state. Maybe this will help: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Ct3QGCG5

Thanks for posting that Matthew. I've had a look and it doesn't tell me a whole lot.

When Dropzone becomes unresponsive, if you click the menu item and press (Command+,) does the Dropzone Preferences window appear? This would tell me if Dropzone has actually hung or whether the grid/circles is just not able to open for some reason.

John wrote:

When Dropzone becomes unresponsive, if you click the menu item and press (Command+,) does the Dropzone Preferences window appear?

No, it doesn't appear.

I just tried re-launching Dropzone from Alfred (a launcher app) when it was unresponsive, and after doing that it responded to clicks again. Not sure...

Hey John,

Sorry to resurrect this thread I decided to give Dropzone another try and I'm still getting this behavior.

Interestingly, ⌘+, does bring up Dropzone and in fact, doing that makes Dropzone's menu bar icon and circles work again. I guess it's not a crash then.

That's a nice workaround, way better than using Kill Switch and Continu but is there a more permanent fix?

I do have gfxCardStatus installed and running.

Thanks!

- OS X 10.8.2, Dropzone 2.5.
- Only default destinations and settings (for testing) except moving circles to the left (IIRC default was on the right?).
- Tons of other apps running, menubar and otherwise, including Bartender. Dropzone is on the primary menubar though.

Chris White
http://christopherdwhite.com
@chrisWhite • @BrewedPixels