Topic: Dropzone just doesn't seem to work with imgur

I used to use Dropzone with Imgur uploads all the time, but for a long time now it has just stopped working.  The issue is the upload hangs at various points as if there were a protocol timeout (it's not always at the same point during progress).

I don't think it's my computer (Apple 2019 MBP) or my OS (macOS Catalina, fully patched) or my provider (100 Mbps down, 35 Mbps up) as I always end up just using the native Imgur web interface immediately afterward and it works with no problem.

I can't say exactly when this started, although I think it was toward the end of Dropzone 3, and it has continued with Dropzone 4 to the present day.

Here is a pic of the UI during a "timeout":

UI

And here is a pic of the logfile:

logfile

Any ideas?

Re: Dropzone just doesn't seem to work with imgur

Are you using a proxy? The Imgur action doesn't support proxies currently.

John wrote:

Are you using a proxy? The Imgur action doesn't support proxies currently.

Nope, not to my knowledge.  Does the log imply that?

I've done a bit more investigation into this and people have said that this can be fixed by forcing curl (which Dropzone uses) to use HTTP 1.1. I think it's caused by some specific network configuration as another customer emailed me to say he was having this same issue and after he swapped out his router the issue went away.

I've made the change to force HTTP 1.1 and this will go out with Dropzone 4.0.9. I'm pretty optimistic this will resolve it. I'm in the middle of some other major development on the app though so it may be about a month before this update goes out. But try it again when 4.0.9 goes out and hopefully that will fix it.

John wrote:

I've made the change to force HTTP 1.1 and this will go out with Dropzone 4.0.9. I'm pretty optimistic this will resolve it.

I'll look forward to v4.0.9, and thank you!

Just to update you on this, Dropzone 4.1.2 is out now with this fix included (there were a few updates actually in the meantime). The fix is in the Mac App Store version, the Setapp version and the newly released direct version.